The Diploma In Public Service Interpreting (DPSI)
An award-winning course from linguisttraining.com.
We are delighted that you are interested in furthering your education and potentially becoming qualified in providing multilingual services.
Course type: e-learning (online)
When can I start the course? ANYTIME
Number of online lessons: 35
Cost of course: Click here
Course Languages: ALL
Exam Languages: Click here (CIoL site)
Level: Degree (NQF Level 6)
Supplementary: Skype Sessions, Translation Practice, Past Exam papers.
Access for: 12 months
Why Choose linguisttraining.com?
- linguisttraining.com (by Talking Heads) was named ‘BEST IN THE COUNTRY (UK)’ upon winning the Nuffield Trophy for Best Group Entry in the DPSI Examinations.
- linguisttraining.com is one of the officially listed training providers of CIoL language training courses AND an established provider of language services to the private and public sector for over 16 years. These two facts mean that we know what the customer wants and how you can provide it.
- Manage your learning in your own time. Content is accessed online whenever and wherever. Face-to-face Interpreting practice and live interaction Sessions arranged at your convenience.
What Is The DPSI?
The Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) is an internationally recognised course and qualification for linguists who work in the interpreting or translation industry. It facilitates entry to business and service industries as well as Masters degree level courses. It entitles holders to apply for membership of the UK Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL).
The DPSI Qualification
The DPSI represents professional level skills in public service interpreting. It is a first-degree level qualification (NQF Level 6) in terms of language skills required for those interpreting in the UK in a Public Service context.
The DPSI is approximately the same as degree level, therefore excellent command of English and the Other Language is required. However the decision as to whether you think you are at the required level to carry out this course, must be yours.
The DPSI qualification offers a range of benefits:
Provides a nationally consistent standard of professionalism for those who wish to progress into careers as interpreters using English in a Public Service context.
- Facilitates entry to business and service industries and Masters level courses.
- Entitles holders to apply for membership of the CIoL.
The examination is available in more than 40 languages. Click here to view languages.
- Accredited by Ofqual.
- Entered into the National Qualifications Framework at Level 6 (first degree level).
The Diploma in Public Service Interpreting is recognised by the Open University; credit is awarded in the form of 30 points at level 1 with BA designation.
The examination consists of the following modules:
- Interpreting using consecutive and whispered techniques
- Sight translation from and into English
- Written Translation from and into English
The linguisttraining.com e-learning Course
linguisttraining.com offers linguists the chance to study the DPSI course from wherever you are in the world, starting whenever you feel ready. We can do this as all of our courses are 'e-learning' courses. This means that you are provided with a unique web link and password for each course / lesson, and you access all of the content online, at your own convenience and pace.
linguisttraining.com currently offers the DPSI Law and DPSI Health pathways.
The course content is split into separate lessons, each covering a different area of study from within the DPSI syllabus.
In each lesson within our online training area where you will be able to read the Course Content, complete Exercises and view links and videos to assist with your learning.
All languages are offered with this course.
DPSI e-learning Lesson Content
Covering all the essential components of the DPSI syllabus dictated by the CIoL, the content is as follows:
- 35 Interpreting and Translation topics and Legal / Health Topics (dependent on pathway chosen).
- 163 links / bibliography of reading materials on various subjects
- Extensive written teachings / information on the subject matter
- Exam tips for an oral and written exam units
- 76 Exercises, such as vocabulary building and sight translation from English into the Other Language, whispered interpreting techniques, etc.
- Online resources of legal / health topics
- Up-to-date links
In total, hundreds of resources carefully designed and planned by Talking Heads. Completion of this will enable you to be fully educated in the field and you will be ready to take the exam successfully and with confidence, if that is your chosen path.
- Receive a Certificate of Completion from linguisttraining.com, award winning trainer and accredited examination centre.
- Register for the examination to receive this qualification.
Skype Sessions are available on this course. During your Skype sessions, you will receive advice on interpreting and translating. Together with your Language Partner/s you will have an opportunity to discuss feedback and ask questions.
Translation Practice - When you choose to learn online, it's always helpful to have feedback on your progress, although it's not always possible with e-learning formats. With our Translation Practices, we provide you with the opportunity to have your translations reviewed by an experienced Language Partner - crucial for learners who are planning on taking the exam associated with their course. Practice your exam technique and test your revision progress.