Certificate In Bilingual Skills (CBS)
The IoLET has recently ceased offering an exam in the Certificate in Bilingual Skills. However, our course is so popular, it is still available to you. A Certificate of Completion will be awarded to those who complete the course.
We are delighted that you are interested in furthering your education and potentially becoming qualified in providing multilingual services. Here we will provide you with an overview of the Certificate in Bilingual Skills (CBS) course.
Course type: e-learning (online)
When can I start the course? ANYTIME
Cost of course: Click here
Course Languages: ALL
Level: Degree (NQF Level 6)
Supplementary: Skype Sessions, Translation Practice, Past Exam papers.
Access for: 12 months
What Is The CBS?
If you work, or would like to work, in the public or voluntary sectors using your language skills, the CBS course is for you.
- A Degree (NQF Level 6) level course with a Certificate of Completion
- Improved career prospects
- A stepping-stone towards the DPSI, a higher professional level exam offered by IoLET, which entitles holders to apply for membership of the UK Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL).
Why Choose linguisttraining.com?
- linguisttraining.com was named ‘BEST IN THE COUNTRY (UK)’ upon winning the Nuffield Trophy for Best Group Entry in the DPSI Examinations.
- linguisttraining.com is one of the officially listed training providers of CIoL language training courses AND an established provider of language services to the private and public sector for over 18 years. These two facts mean that we know what the customer wants and how you can provide it.
- Manage your learning in your own time. Content is accessed online whenever and wherever. Face-to-face Interpreting practice and live interaction Sessions arranged at your convenience.
A practical, vocational alternative to a traditional A-Level, for all those working in the public, voluntary sector or private sector and who wish to use their language skills in their workplace.
The course is based on real-life situations in a public service context (Local Government, Health Service, Social Services, etc.).
As the CBS is approximately the same level as a traditional "A" level, excellent command of English and the Other Language is required. However the decision as to whether you think you are at the required level to carry out this course, must be yours.
Demonstrates proven capability in English and other languages at foundation level. Whether already employed or looking for a new career, you will be qualified to use your language skills, improving your career prospects. A useful starting point for those wishing to become professional interpreters, the CBS is a stepping stone towards the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI); higher professional level training offered by linguisttraining.com and an examination offered by the IoLET.
The linguisttraining.com e-learning course
linguisttraining.com offers linguists the chance to study the CBS course from wherever you are in the world, starting whenever you feel ready. We can do this as all of our courses are 'e-learning' courses. This means that you are provided with a unique web link and password for each course / lesson, and you access all of the content online, at your own convenience and pace.
The course content is split into separate lessons, each covering a different area of study from within the CBS syllabus.
In each lesson within our online training area you will be able to read the Course Content, complete Exercises and view links and videos to assist with your learning.
CBS Lesson Content
Covering all the essential components of the CBS syllabus dictated by the CIoL, the content is as follows:
READING MATERIALS in English
- Study of subjects approved by The Chartered Institute of Linguists including: employment, consumer rights, social services etc.
- Reading about skills required for written units
- Resources listed for further reading
EXERCISES TO COMPLETE
- 1 exercise per lesson
- Sight Translation of texts from / into English
- Written tasks incl., letter writing
- Eight Translation Practice Papers (of a Past Exam Paper if available in your language) - worth £49.00 each when bought separately
- Vocabulary extensions exercises in English and development into the Other Language
- Topic and vocabulary research homework
WEBSITE LINKS TO VIEW
- Interesting articles, reports, publications, etc.
- Resources to research topics further
- 8 past exam papers for you to translate
- 8 past exam papers for you to translate with 2 of them being marked by an experienced, professional linguist and feedback provided for your development.
In total, hundreds of pages of resources carefully designed and planned by linguisttraining.com. Completion of this will leave you fully educated in the field and you will be ready to use your skills with confidence.
- Receive a Certificate of Completion from linguisttraining.com, award winning trainer and accredited examination centre.
- Advertise your achievement on your CV /profile to prospective clients.
Skype Sessions are available on this course. During your Skype sessions, you will receive advice on interpreting and translating. Together with your Language Partner/s you will have an opportunity to discuss feedback and ask questions.
Translation Practice - When you choose to learn online, it's always helpful to have feedback on your progress, although it's not always possible with e-learning formats. With our Translation Practices, we provide you with the opportunity to have your translations reviewed by an experienced Language Partner - crucial for all learners.